[kde-community] Discussion: KDE Manifesto, "established practices"

Peter Grasch peter at grasch.net
Tue Nov 19 02:32:31 GMT 2013

On 11/19/2013 01:31 AM, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 00:46:12 Peter Grasch wrote:
>> Just for the record: I never said that the actual practices should be
>> documented in the manifesto but that imo there should be references to
>> the full text of what people are committing to.
>
> What people are committing to is following practices established by the
> community.
Again, this means *nothing* to anyone who doesn't know what those
practices are.

Sure, that policies might change over time is to be expected, but it's
simply not an excuse for not documenting them openly.
In fact, we *do* document them, so I really don't understand why
referring to this documentation in the manifesto would be a problem
unless the inherent fuzzyness of the currently proposed language, which
can very easily interpreted as "anything we might *declare* to be an
established practice ought to be upheld", is on purpose.

On 11/19/2013 01:53 AM, Kevin Ottens wrote:
> Sounds like a good compromise to me, integrated that locally: "The
> project stays true to [established practices]
> (http://techbase.kde.org/Policies) common to similar KDE projects"
That is a nice compromise, yes.
+1 from me.

Best regards,