[kde-community] Proposal: KDE Manifesto wording revision

Olaf Schmidt-Wischhöfer ojschmidt at kde.org
Wed Nov 13 19:58:46 GMT 2013

Am Mittwoch, 13. November 2013, 18:44:45 schrieb Eike Hein:
> On Tuesday 12 November 2013 23:22:59 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > To me, "source materials" means anything that cannot be produced
> > automatically from the other source materials.
> >
> > I'd assume that when in doubt whether they should put something in the
> > repo, people would just ask.
>
> Thanks - if that's how we all intuitively read it (and I agree
> that in case of problems, it's easy to state the case for it),
> it would appear "source materials" is the way forward?

I tested “source material” against some corner cases, and it appears to be
both too restrictive and  too loose.

Not only the “source materials” need to be accessible without additional third
party account, but everything that is needed for participation.

Example: Let’s say KDE project KoolApp has a TODO list on a third party
website with invasive privacy policies. Then we can have two cases:
a) Developers are expected to read this TODO before doing bigger changes to
the code, so that they do not interfer with the plans of others. This would de
facto create a problematic barrier for participation (agreement to privacy-
hostile third party contracts). The wording “project asset” would cover the
case, but “source materials” would not.
b) The TODO list serves as an inoffical reminder document for the two lead
developers. This is not much different from a private document. This is neither
a “project asset” nor a “source material”.

In the case of the kde.org website, however, we do not currently allow every
KDE account to make changes – but “source materials” and “project assets”
clearly include PHP files.

Since we already have special wording in the manifest for the website, and
since private documents are not “project” material, my preliminary conclusion
is that “project assets” is the best alternative of the suggested wordings –
but we should still try to find something better.

Olaf