[kde-community] Proposal: KDE Manifesto wording revision

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Tue Nov 12 22:22:59 GMT 2013

On Tuesday 12 November 2013 23:11:54 Eike Hein wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 November 2013 22:53:18 Thomas Zander wrote:
> > All these may actually exclude the stuff that is used to create the
> > deliverables. If you use gimp to draw, the gimp file is imporant, but the
> > "asset" and "deliverable" is typically used for the png you export.
> > So I'm assuming we want the source-materials, and in that case those names
> > may not be the best.
>
> Yeah, that's exactly the problem I had with "deliverables" -
> you can play the game that the deliverables of a FOSS project
> *are* source materials, but sadly we just don't live in a
> world where that reads intuitively ...
>
> > What about calling them; "source materials". Or "Product source
> > materials"?
>
> Hmm, nice idea ... let's briefly check it against a tricky
> case, though:
>
> - With the Oxygen icons, the original source materials are SVG
>   source.
> - However, we also store rasterized forms in SVN.
> - Those rasterized forms are often further hand-optimized, i.e.
>   you can't recreate trivially them from the SVG source.
>
> Our goal therefore must be to make sure both of these forms are
> in the repo - does "source materials" apply sufficiently to "hand-
> optimized PNGs cut from SVGs", or is there a loophole there?

If the rasterized versions were simply the result of a script running over the
source SVGs, I wouldn't call them "source materials", as they'd be more akin
to compiled source code.
I would consider hand-optimized PNGs as source material, though, because they
were modified afterwards.
If for some weird reason a project would compile their code, then go ahead and
edit the binaries with a HEX editor and put those modified binaries in the
release tarball, I'd expect them to put those modified binaries in the repo as
well.
To me, "source materials" means anything that cannot be produced automatically
from the other source materials.

I do agree that people might interpret "source materials" differently, though.

> I toyed with variations of "source and release materials" for a
> while, but that has the problems that it (a) ends up creating
> loopholes for aux assets not put into tarballs in the end and
> (b) can easily start reading on the tarballs themselves, becoming
> confusing.
>

> Let's try it out in full for now in order to keep an overview:
>
> "All source materials are hosted on infrastructure
> available and writable by all KDE contributor accounts."
>

> I think it's an improvement overall - but not sure about Oxygen.

I'd assume that when in doubt whether they should put something in the repo,
people would just ask.

Cheers,
Thomas