[kde-community] Proposal: KDE Manifesto wording revision

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Nov 12 16:33:08 GMT 2013

On Tuesday, November 12, 2013 16:43:27 Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> It also sounds like it would rule out using any other tools, which are not
> hosted on KDE infrastructure. In the IRC log there were mentioned Google
> Docs, Trello, there are certainly more (and not only closed-source ones). I
> don't think we are trying to say that, as that would obviously go against
> the status quo, and the manifest is supposed to document our current view,
> not a future goal.

what project assets are hosted on google docs, trello, etc?

perhaps we’re having a definition problem here.

to me “project assets” are all the things that make up the end project/product
as released. this is how the word is used in relation to, for instance, games
with all their data and graphics.

TODO lists and other non-deliverables are not project assets. they are things
the project team may use, but they are not project assets.

it is very problematic to include things like TODO lists in there since a
developer may keep a TODO list, meeting notes or other things related to
projects entirely on a local disk. what then?

no, this should only be about what is delivered as part of the project’s
product itself.

if that is not clear (and apparently it is not .. you aren’t the first to
suggest this) then perhaps we need a phrase other than “project assets” or
some clarification of it.

> > * Hosting location is still not nailed down further than "KDE
> >
> >   contributor accounts must have r/w access", answering a de-
> >   mand in the original Manifesto discussion.
>
> I guess the reason why I'm perceiving this as excluding non-KDE hosted
> infrastructure is that I read "KDE contributor accounts must have r/w
> access" as "I must be able to log in with identity.kde.org". That's
> obviously not possible with many services hosted by other parties.

that's precisely the point: to ensure that if you have a KDE contributor
account that you can then use that account to change assets.

--
Aaron J. Seigo