[kde-community] Proposal: KDE Manifesto wording revision

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Mon Nov 11 12:56:32 GMT 2013

Heyo ...

After the exchanges in this and the other leg of the subthread
there ended up being a follow-up discussion on IRC, with Aaron,
Sune (svuorela), me (Sho_) and others contributing.

Ultimately, we've together settled on this wording suggestion:

"All project assets must be hosted on infrastructure available
and writable to all KDE contributor accounts."

Summing up the thoughts behind this:

* This is intended to cover the ideas behind both the original
  ALL and ONLY clauses by specifying that 'all project assets'
  must be on infrastructure that's covered by our contributor
  account system. The way this implements ONLY is by implicitly
  ruling out mirrors that contain additional assets - in other
  words, it's meant to ensure that KDE's repositories are ca-
  nonical for projects, and not outdated. This brings parity
  between what ReviewBoard is doing and what a GitHub mirror
  is doing.

* The new wording hopefully succeeds in being less off-putting
  to readers, to avoid defeating the purpose of the original
  ONLY cause (i.e. we want to successfully pitch/convince
  people to be part of the community, not appear to force them).

* Hosting location is still not nailed down further than "KDE
  contributor accounts must have r/w access", answering a de-
  mand in the original Manifesto discussion.

* "Software assets" changed to "project assets", with Aaron
  acting as a test case for folks having an easier time under-
  standing that this also covers e.g. the Oxygen icons project.

The full log of the conversation is attached, with unrelated
conversation and names stripped as requested (topic-unrelated
reason).

Cheers,
Eike