[kde-community] Proposal: KDE Manifesto wording revision

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Mon Nov 11 09:44:46 GMT 2013

On Monday 11 November 2013 10:14:56 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> the difference is that it does not specify “ONLY”, which in this day and age
> of decentralized revision control systems seems sensible. or are you
> suggesting that we should not allow any contributions from the "outside"?

You're confusing direct write access with contributing. We
have several means to accept contributions from the "out-
side" that don't require the former, e.g. ReviewBoard.

> not only is the new language clearer thanks to removing 2 lines and one
> indented list, it makes the manifesto sound a lot less like it was put
> together by pedants: ONLY and ALL ..  really?

The purpose of the Manifesto is to codify established practice
and important, long-held ideas of the community in order to
act as a cache that aids us in making future discussions. To
that end, we had a long discussion process that produced a con-
sensus that was put in writing. The "burden of proof" is there-
fore on change proposals, and changes in intended meaning
should be argued a lot better than "the current wording does
not soothe my eyes" and with spikes like "really?".

Cheers,
Eike