[kde-community] Why were there no talks about Ubuntu Mobile at Akademy?

Ian Monroe ian at monroe.nu
Tue Aug 20 22:31:59 BST 2013

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 2:11 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
> On terça-feira, 20 de agosto de 2013 14:02:20, Ian Monroe wrote:
>> > Of course you can argue that Canonical could help in the development of
>> > those Qt5 ports, but as I said, there's a release to be done in October
>> > so doesn't make much sense to focus on things that are not release
>> > critical.
>>
>> I actually use some KF5 stuff in 'production' at Atlassian already
>> (Sonnet, knotifications, kidletime, kwindowsystem). I don't think
>> release schedules are really a issue if you find something in KF5
>> useful.
>
> In other words, what we want is to start promoting the KF5 tech that is in
> already pretty usable state to Qt 5 users.
>
> And here's where Ubuntu and Atlassian could help: what tech is most
> interesting to you?

Well the KDE libraries I use are either things that should be in Qt
but aren't (Sonnet, kidletime) or that help integrate with the Linux
desktop (knotifications, kwindowsystem).

The Linux desktop is a total mess right now when it comes to things
like system trays, window state, etc. Things have regressed, now that
Gnome 3 and Unity mean desktops don't even all have the same parts.
Anyways whenever there's a problem there's an opportunity, I think KF5
is a natural place to house the libraries that make writing Qt
software that targets Linux (regardless of WM/DE used) work well.
Which is what a lot of KF5 is already about, so, thumbs up, keep it
up. :)

Ian