[kde-community] Why were there no talks about Ubuntu Mobile at Akademy?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Aug 16 17:51:37 BST 2013

On Friday, August 16, 2013 10:49:26 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> - Our marketing efforts of "KDE is people" has backfired, Canonical now
> thinks KDE = Aaron and Aaron = KDE ;-)

That’s an incorrect conclusion, I fear. Canonical’s viewpoint that I somehow
steer all of KDE as some sort of benevolent dictator has nothing to do with
our marketing of “KDE is people”. I won’t get into the why’s and how’s of
that, but trust me: they are unrelated.

I don’t want one company having arrived at the wrong conclusions some time ago
impacting what has been a very successful campaign that is not related to
that.

> I think Aaron already made clear that he would be happy to work on sharing
> as much as possible with the Plasma efforts he's involved in and kick folk
> around him to do the same.

No kicking is necessary; everyone in Plasma feels this way. That’s why we have
routinely invited people from other projects (inc Canonical, btw) to Tokamaks,
why we have reached out to them on the QML and other Qt mailing lists, why we
implemented the units API, why KWin devs have been talking with RazorQt, why
when we looked at a KDM replacement we invited Canonical (who showed up and
participated very positively) as well as RazorQt, Hawaii and others.

> I just make the wild bet that the Frameworks
> folk are perfectly

You win the bet. That’s one of the core motivators behind the Frameworks
effort.

--
Aaron J. Seigo