[kde-community] Why were there no talks about Ubuntu Mobile at Akademy?

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 17:19:44 BST 2013

On Thursday 15 August 2013 16:05:46 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El Dijous, 15 d'agost de 2013, a les 14:49:11, David Edmundson va escriure:
> > I was directing my question to Jos, not Albert.
>
> I guess you can also read Jos email as "what KDE did wrong because it did
> not attract [much] Canonical people and how can KDE try to get more
> Canonical people next time".

It was indeed meant that way. I'd love to get the Ubuntu Phone efforts closer
to KDE - after all, it's Qt on Linux, just like Jolla, and they had a visible
presence and tried to get folks interested in writing for them.

And while I'm, all pro blackberry, with Ubuntu being Linux and them running a
proprietary OS, I'd call it unfortunate that Blackberry is far more visible in
our community than Canonical's Phone/Qt efforts!

I might work for a competitor of Canonical but I'm talking with my KDE hat on
here, besides, openSUSE does rather little on mobile phones :D

It's Jolla, Firefox and Canonical carrying the Linux Phone Flag* and I'm quite
happy that two of those are Qt based. And I want them close to KDE - good for
everybody.

So, sorry if it was looking like bashing, it wasn't meant that way.

/Jos

* I am obviously aware of Android. I'm sure you're all aware of how they have
little in common with the Linux desktop other than sharing the kernel and how
their development process is as closed as it gets, although I'm glad there are
efforts to get Qt to Android