D8256: Add _XOPEN_SOURCE to C definitions

Michael Pyne noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Sep 2 15:53:57 BST 2018

mpyne added a comment.

  Sorry, if I'd been able to check this earlier I'd have warned against pushing, this was the kind of concern I was addressing with my earlier comment about FreeBSD. I had run into a lot of those issues when trying to get KF5 to build on Alpine.

  Adding an _XOPEN_SOURCE or similar define will in general require a lot of porting effort to remove things like obsolete type names, BSD-specific extensions, functions used in later standards than the one we adopt, etc.

  It was easier for me to make fixes per-Framework than to try to get everything to compile under an _XOPEN_SOURCE setting, but it may be better as a long-term concern to standardize on something and then do the one-time cost to make sure everything still builds. Certainly I think we don't want to continue to rely implicitly on glibc forever given the expansion of other form factors that use alternate libc's.

REPOSITORY
  R240 Extra CMake Modules

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D8256