D16894: [ECM] use a macro to test compiler flag support

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Nov 16 09:47:01 GMT 2018

rjvbb updated this revision to Diff 45567.
rjvbb added a comment.

  A simpler version, setting CMAKE_<LANG>_FLAGS directly (also fixes a persistence error in my previous implementation).

  I've thought some more about "why not just use check_<lang>_compiler_flag everywhere". I think that the risk with using a built-in function is that future developers or maintainers may think to be smart and replace them with built-in ID+version checking. Because we know since what version which compiler supports a given flag, right? Providing a dedicated function should reduce that risk, if not only because of the comments it comes with.

  Ideally there should probably also be a version that accepts multiple flags; would that be possible with cmake's language?

CHANGES SINCE LAST UPDATE
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D16894?vs=45513&id=45567

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D16894

AFFECTED FILES
  kde-modules/KDECompilerSettings.cmake
  kde-modules/KDEFrameworkCompilerSettings.cmake