D9446: WIP: Allow to autogenerate and install categories file

Ralf Habacker noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Jul 2 06:36:02 UTC 2018

habacker added a comment.

  In D9446#284822 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D9446#284822>, @dfaure wrote:

  > On the other hand it means that when you add a new category, you get to recompile *everything* :-)

  I understand what you mean, what can be solved by an additional include file that includes the header file for the created categories  e.g.

    #include <projectname>_debug.h

  where the file content is something like

    #include "log1.h"
    #include "subdir2/log2.h"

  may be with an additional parameter

    COLLECT_HEADER        # uses ${PROJECT_NAME}_debug.h

  or

    COLLECT_HEADER    <filename>

  or by an additional function

    ecm_qt_logging_category_config(
         COLLECT_HEADER <filename>    # collect all defined category headers into this file
    )

  Also an additional function has the advantage to be able to define a common destination file for *.categories files

    ecm_qt_logging_category_config(
         CATEGORY_INSTALL               # store category entries for kdebugsettings in ${PROJECT_NAME}.categories
         CATEGORY_INSTALL <filename>    # store category entries for kdebugsettings in this filename
    )

  BTW: The parameter names are just proposals - there may be better names

REPOSITORY
  R240 Extra CMake Modules

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D9446