D5143: Introduce fetch-translations build command

Harald Sitter noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Mar 23 15:07:31 UTC 2017

sitter added a comment.

  A couple of things I am not sure about

  - defaults to stable translations, I'd say it should default to trunk. e.g. playground and kdereview don't even have stable
  - considering one has to enable this feature in the cmakecache I think it should be made a dependency of target all. having to manually enable the feature and then also manually run fetch-translations seems a bit meh, at least on first run, on subsequent runs with  $build/po/ present I'd agree with it not fetching everything again.

  Lastly, you need to retrigger cmake after the fetchpo.rb script was run. ki18n_install uses a GLOB to find all languages, but that GLOB is only refreshed on cmake runs, so the first time it GLOBS there is nothing and once fetch-translations was run the user needs to manually run cmake again to make the GLOB actually find something. So what happens is:

    git clone kde:ksysguard
    mkdir ksysguard/build
    cd ksysguard/build
    cmake .. -DKDE_L10N...etc
    make fetch-translations
    cmake .. # excess cmake call necessary to actually be able to build the now fetched translations
    make
    make install

  It's also pretty bad because ki18n doesn't actually tell you about the problem but simply doesn't build the translations and then you have people like me going ❓❓😱❓❓

INLINE COMMENTS

> apol wrote in KDECMakeSettings.cmake:302
> A first approach used it, I decided to remove it because it didn't add much...

Fair enough.

REPOSITORY
  R240 Extra CMake Modules

REVISION DETAIL