Debug category file installation

Luca Beltrame lbeltrame at kde.org
Sun Dec 17 17:50:41 UTC 2017

Hello,

thanks to kdebugsettings and category files, now it is possible to easily
enable/disable debugging at runtime. However, there are a few shortcomings to
this approach, which emerged when I tried to package KF5 5.41 for openSUSE:

1. There should be a macro in ECM to unify the installation of those files
2. The .categories files are not configuration data and should be installed
below SHARE_INSTALL_PREFIX instead
3. In case of library upgrades (say, in KF6 times), those files would conflict
in their current location (this wouldn't affect applications, however)

For 1, a solution would be to either extend ECMQtDeclareLoggingCategory to
generate the category files, and install them, or have a separate macro to
collect and install separately the category files (useful for projects with
multiple ones like KDevelop, where they are defined for each lib/plugin
subdirectory). 2.  and 3. Would be solved by having either a subdirectory
("kf5"? But I understand Plasma and Applications use the same mechanism, so
probably something else would be needed) to SHARE_INSTALL_PREFIX.

Opinions?