D9299: Introduce INSTALL_PREFIX_SCRIPT to easily set up prefixes

Aleix Pol Gonzalez noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Dec 15 16:12:22 UTC 2017

apol added a comment.

  In https://phabricator.kde.org/D9299#179909, @kfunk wrote:

  > Sorry for being late, but I didn't have time to follow up on this one.

  Sorry, maybe I should have waited ^^'

  > My concerns:
  >
  > - If you have that option `ON` and all frameworks install into the same prefix, `prefix.sh` will be overwritten. => Bad.

  It's not too bad, they will all write the same.

  > - I still don't fully see how to adopt the use case apol mentioned: Say each Framework installs into its own unique prefix. => Ok.
  >   - But how are you supposed to source each `prefix.sh`? There must be script to do this? Where's the documentation then?

  so basically, to develop kate you do:

    git clone kde:kate
    cd kate
    mkdir build
    cd build
    cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/banana
    make install -j4

  this itself will work as usual, now you can do

    source prefix.sh
    kate

  and use it

  If installation really bothers you, we can remove the installation altogether and suggest just calling it from the build directory.

  I included because I started with `kde:scratch/apol/prefixsetup` in mind, which I use to test apps I develop on systems that I have where I just `make install ; source /opt/mystuff/prefix.sh`. But it's not necessary to do it like that and removing the option also can reduce the complexity.

REPOSITORY
  R240 Extra CMake Modules

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D9299