How is KF5 packaged on major systems?

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sat Apr 23 08:56:54 UTC 2016

Shaheed !!!
Long time no see ;)

On Wednesday 20 April 2016 19:48:30 Shaheed Haque wrote:
> The whole point of what I am doing is to automate as much as possible
> of steps 1-4, and this question centres on step 4. How can I automate
> identifying the correct KF5 library .so file? For example, on my
> Ubuntu Wily system, I can start with the header files in
> "/usr/include/KF5/KItemModels/*.h" and then I need to link against
> "libKF5ItemModels.so".

Well, we tried to keep things rather consistent, so maybe just a few rules are necessary.

Just keep in mind that a single framework can install multiple libs (e.g. kio installs 5 of them).

(and that there are two kinds of forwarding headers (namespaced and non-namespaced),
but if you only parse the real lowercase headers and not the forwarding headers then
this doesn't matter)

But with that in mind, it should be straightforward.
E.g. include/KF5/KIOWidgets/* maps to libKF5KIOWidgets.so

Working on KDE Frameworks 5