Review Request 123722: Add PROPERTIES argument to ecm_add_test and ecm_add_tests.

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Thu May 14 15:01:22 UTC 2015

Alex Merry wrote:

> Add PROPERTIES argument to ecm_add_test and ecm_add_tests.

I know you have merged this already, but I consider it a bad design. If the
user wants to set properties, then the user can use set_test_properties().

Using more commands is good and making command parameters all-powerful is
bad. It's exactly what we moved away from by porting away from
kde4_add_{executable,library}. You're taking us back down that road with
this change. I suggest reverting it.

If the user wants to set a property, then they use the 'native' cmake
command to do so. That is inline with the principle we used when starting
kf5 and started upstreaming things to cmake. It leads to more understandable
code, whereas macros/functions with 'combined everything' parameters are
less understandable.

Thanks,

Steve.