What's the use case of KDE_INSTALL_DATADIR vs DATA_INSTALL_DIR

Alex Merry alex.merry at kde.org
Sun Mar 15 18:44:12 UTC 2015

On Saturday 14 March 2015 08:51:01 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> Hi, can somebody please help me understand the need of KDE_INSTALL_DATADIR
> vs DATA_INSTALL_DIR?

They're exactly the same thing, but DATA_INSTALL_DIR is deprecated.
KDE_INSTALL_DATADIR is more consistent in several ways - having a prefix
related to the module name is good practice, and it matches up with how
GNUInstallDirs does things.

Any project using a recent version of e-c-m should use the new variable names,
ideally, although the old ones will continue to work. I'm not entirely
convinced it's worth bumping the required e-c-m version just to use the new
names, however.