KDE_INSTALL_USE_QT_SYS_PATHS as default

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Fri Mar 6 23:53:33 UTC 2015

On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 8:26 PM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
> El Dijous, 5 de març de 2015, a les 13:00:50, Aleix Pol va escriure:
>> Hi,
>> It's been on some occasions already that I've seen reports of people
>> trying to get some KDE application installed and complaining (mostly
>> the ones based on QML). The reason is that KDE is assuming the
>> application is being installed into its own prefix by default.
>>
>> I've been wondering that maybe we shouldn't? Or maybe we could try to
>> detect if it's the same prefix as Qt and in that case install things
>> together.
>>
>> Opinions?
>
> Does the use of KDE_INSTALL_USE_QT_SYS_PATHS imply i need to install as root
> if i'm using the system Qt even if i'm installing the app to my home folder?

Well, yes, that's why I'm talking about doing this only if using the
same prefix as Qt as the install prefix. In practice, if you're
installing to /usr you want things to be in the correct place.

QML plugins are a good example why the current behavior is quite
broken. If you install an application to /usr, you don't expect to
need to specify weird a QML_PLUGIN_PATH for the app/framework to work.

Aleix