make uninstall

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Fri Jan 30 11:47:31 UTC 2015

On Friday 30 January 2015 10:47:22 Alex Merry wrote:
> On Friday 30 January 2015 10:44:23 Alex Merry wrote:
> > Over on kde-frameworks-devel, there have been several requests to bring
> > back `make uninstall` for KF5 and KF5-based projects.
> >
> > KDELibs4 used to define this for any dependent projects (it's essentially
> > `xargs rm < install_manifest.txt` under the hood), and we could easily add
> > it to KDECMakeSettings (with an option to disable it).
>
> We could also easily make it opt-in, either by making a separate module to
> define an uninstall target or by requiring projects or users to set a
> variable/option.

I'm all for doing it opt-*out*, such as in KDE4 times. For developers, the
"uninstall" target can be quite useful, and it'd be useless if you need to
enable that on a project-by-project basis in the KDE domain.

Newcomers probably don't need to know about that target, thus, if they don't
know they cannot use it and cause harm to their files anyway.

Also, the name "uninstall" indicates it's a destructive operation, so you have
been warned.

+1 for defining this by default