KDEInstallDirs variables

Alex Merry alex.merry at kde.org
Fri Jan 2 14:49:21 UTC 2015

On December 31, 2014 3:03:16 PM GMT, Stephen Kelly <steveire at gmail.com> wrote:
>Stephen Kelly wrote:
>
>> * The 'deprecated' variables are still used by kcoreaddons. I didn't
>check
>> other frameworks. Are other frameworks ported to the new variables?
>Why is
>> there no run-time message to port from old to new? Is there a
>migration
>> path or even a migration need?
>
>So, I see you made a commit which makes the 'standard' form 'KDE_*'.
>There
>are now two levels of deprecation.
>
>Remember (I'm not certain if this is clear): There are two interfaces
>consider. One is the cmake code using ECM, the other is the command
>line
>interface people (and packagers) use when they invoke cmake.

Yes, that should be accounted for by the code.

>* Is this change discoverable? How?

On the command line side, there is a deprecation warning in cmake 3 (although cmake unfortunately doesn't enable those by default). On the cmakelists side, there is only the docs.

>* Were the kde CMAKE_ variants ever used? Would it make more sense to
>just
>remove them?

No, they were used in a few places, and some only ever had a cmake form.

>* What do packagers use? How do they know to update their scripts?

See above about the depreciation warning. I'll also send an email to kde-packagers, and ask David to put something in the release announcement.

>* Are the new variables used by frameworks? I mentioned a few times
>that all
>frameworks (including kcoreaddons) use old variables, and I asked what
>the
>value of deprecating them was without porting frameworks. I don't think
>that
>was addressed.

I plan to update the porting scripts and run them on the frameworks repos. At this point, I'll wait until after the release that I assume is happening this weekend.

>* Is it possible to use the new variables? kcoreaddons cmake fails with
>the
>option -DKDE_INSTALL_DIRS_NO_CMAKE_VARIABLES=TRUE

See above.

>* Are you done, or is there more to do on this 'story'/'unit of work'.

See above.