Syncing ECM release number with KF5

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sat Apr 4 08:44:27 UTC 2015

On Saturday 28 March 2015 05:49:01 Michael Palimaka wrote:
> On 28/03/15 03:48, Alex Merry wrote:
> > On Wednesday 25 March 2015 22:35:24 Stephen Kelly wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> ECM release numbers are in sync with KF5 release numbers, except for the
> >> major component.
> >>
> >> This means that if you want to build the 5.x.y release you have to
> >> download
> >> the 1.x.y release of ECM. That doubles the complexity of your script
> >> which
> >> downloads the tarball to build it.
> >>
> >> That is bad and it is not necessary.
> >>
> >> Let's sync the major number for the next release.
> >>
> >> At some point the reason to make them out of sync was to be able to make
> >> ECM releases more frequently. That is very rare because KF5 releases are
> >> happening every month. If ECM needs to make an out of band release, it
> >> can use the 4th version number component.
> >
> > I have no particular objection, although I think "doubling the complexity"
> > of scripts is overstating things a little.
> >
> > Alex
>
> Is ECM actually part of KF5, or just happens to be released alongside
> it? (I thought the latter, hence the different version).

The initial idea was "it' happens to be released alongside, when necessary".

I.e. as a "marketing" message: you can use ECM without using KF5.
But, well, this modularity exists for the rest of KF5 too (you can use
KArchive without using KIO), so this would still be clear if the version
number was aligned.

I also saw it as a way to not include it if it didn't change, but in practice
there's always at least one change every month, usually more ;)

> FWIW the different version doesn't bother me at all as a downstream.

And it doesn't bother me as the release dude - I have one if() in the version
file ;)   (so, I also disagree with "doubles the complexity").

But since both Stephen Kelly and Alex Merry (maintainers of ECM) are in favour
of switching, I'll make the switch.

Working on KDE Frameworks 5