KDEInstallDirs variables

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sun Dec 28 12:39:47 UTC 2014

On Wednesday 10 December 2014 12:49:45 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Tuesday, December 09, 2014 21:40:28 Alex Merry wrote:
> > > Yes, this is better.

> > > Not KF5_? I didn't think long about it so I don't know which is better.
> >
> > Nope, KDE_. The variables that are KF5-specific already have a 5 in the
> > name.
> >
> > As a bonus, having KDE_INSTALL_* variables come from KDEInstallDirs.cmake
> > should make it easier for people reading CMakeLists.txt files of KDE
> > projects.

Sounds good to me.

> Another option would be to upstream KDEInstallDirs.cmake into cmake, then
> the CMAKE_ prefix would be Ok, and the two files (GNU|KDEInstallDirs.cmake)
> should actually follow the same guidelines.

Would that even be accepted into cmake?
It would force requiring very-latest cmake, too. Unless we wait for a long
time before porting to that new cmake module - but then it better not have the
same name as the one in ECM, otherwise the wrong one will be picked up for
some people...

At this point it seems this suggestion stalled progress completely, since
that's a whole other direction to take, with many more complications and an
uncertain outcome...

Working on KDE Frameworks 5