KDEInstallDirs variables

Alex Merry alex.merry at kde.org
Mon Dec 8 22:25:35 UTC 2014

On Monday 08 December 2014 21:09:50 Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Hello,
>
> You might be interested in some discussion here:
>
>  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.cmake.devel/11869
>
> In particular:
>
>  * The 'deprecated' variables are still used by kcoreaddons. I didn't check
> other frameworks. Are other frameworks ported to the new variables? Why is
> there no run-time message to port from old to new? Is there a migration path
> or even a migration need?

Does CMake even provide a way of marking variables as deprecated? Simply
making the old name an alias for the new doesn't quite work, as we need to
maintain compatibility on the command line as well as in the CMakeLists files.

>  * You shouldn't use the CMAKE_ prefix for the same reason you don't prefix
> Qt classes with 'Q'. That namespace should be considered owned by cmake.
>
>  * The file contains variables with at least prefixes CMAKE_, KF5_, and
> KDE_. Consider using KF5_ universally.

Hum. I went for that to try to make it at least partially interchangable with
GNUInstallDirs.cmake. Perhaps that wasn't such a bright idea - at least, I
should maybe have made the ones that *don't* appear in GNUInstallDirs have a
different prefix.

I agree that the variables are a bit of a mess. It's... well, not the approach
I would have taken if I had started less close to the source compatibility
cut-off date for KF5.