DLL version info on WIndows

Nicolás Alvarez nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 03:03:50 UTC 2014

> On Monday 03 November 2014 16:41:08 Nicolás Alvarez wrote:
>> Example of a version.rc file for kcoreaddons:
>>
>> VS_VERSION_INFO VERSIONINFO
>>     FILEVERSION 5,4,0,0
>>     PRODUCTVERSION 5,4,0,0
>>     FILEFLAGSMASK 0x3fL
>>     FILEFLAGS 0x0L
>>     FILEOS VOS__WINDOWS32
>>     FILETYPE VFT_DLL
>>     FILESUBTYPE 0x0L
>>     BEGIN
>>         BLOCK "StringFileInfo"
>>         BEGIN
>>             BLOCK "040904b0"
>>             BEGIN
>>                 VALUE "FileVersion", "5.4.0\0"
>>                 VALUE "ProductVersion", "5.4.0\0"
>>
>>                 VALUE "CompanyName", "KDE Community\0"
>>                 VALUE "LegalCopyright", "Copyright (c) 2014 KDE Community\0"
>
> This copyright statement isn't a good idea. There is no legal entity called
> "KDE Community" that could enforce the copyright. The copyright of the
> different files kcoreaddons consists of is held by the authors of the respective
> files. A copyright statement for the whole DLL only makes sense if the
> copyright for all files is held by the same group of real or legal persons. In
> our case there is no group of persons holding the copyright for all files.
> Therefore, I would leave out this field.

Hmm... What about "KDE contributors" (in lowercase)? Or "KCoreAddons authors"?

I'd rather keep the field, but I certainly don't want to collect a
giant list of copyright holders for each library... I may even hit
field length limits if I do :P

> If you still want to add it then please at least leave out the "(c)". Only the
> official copyright symbol is legally recognized as abbreviation of the word
> "Copyright". The copyright symbol is meant to be used in place of the word
> "Copyright" and not in addition to it. Even if "(c)" was a recognized
> abbreviation of the word "Copyright" (which it is not) it wouldn't make any
> sense to use both in the same statement. It's like saying "KDE desktop
> environment".

Most system DLLs have "© Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved."
as the copyright string (with the Unicode symbol), so I agree on using
the symbol and removing the word Copyright.

--
Nicolás