CMake usage requirements in KDE Frameworks

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Mar 24 14:06:26 UTC 2013

On Sunday 24 March 2013, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Sunday 24 March 2013, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> > Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > > currently this breaks the stand-alone build of the libraries in tier1/
> > > and tier2/.
> >
> > http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kdelibs.git&a=commitdiff&h=56d571a223e00ffed4c
> > b6 82eb098c5b1e347fa70
> >
> > > E.g. due to removing
> > > include_directories(${kdeqt5staging_INCLUDE_DIRS})
> > > from kcoreaddons/CMakeLists.txt, kcoreaddons does not find the
> > > kdeqt5staging headers anymore when being built stand-alone.
> > > You can do that by building the superbuild/ directory of kdelibs/.
> >
> > That superbuild directory doesn't seem to work for me. Although I run
> > cmake on it with cmake master, it seems to try to use cmake 2.8.9 from
> > my distro when building the subprojects.
>
> Hmm, for me it works as expected.
> What exactly did you do ?
>
> > I reproduced the problem with a build of kcoreaddons alone.
> >
> > > What is your plan regarding moving this forward ?
> >
> > As I wrote elsewhere in this thread, the plan going forward is to have
> > cmake populate the INTERFACE_INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES with the
> > INSTALL_INTERFACE.
> >
> > Until that is done we can either add code to do that ourselves (and
> > remove it later), or simply use include_directories() where you need it.
> > I've pushed a commit doing the former for kdeqt5staging, so tier1 libs
> > which depend on that should work in your superbuild again.
>
> Thanks
> Alex

kcodecs doesn't build for me because it doesn't get the QtCore include dirs.

It has this code:
target_link_libraries(KCodecs LINK_PUBLIC ${QT_QTCORE_LIBRARY} )

This should get it the include dirs, right ?

Is my Qt too old if this doesn't work ?

The last time I had an issue with updating Qt, I asked around and got several
different ways how to update it, but not all of them worked, and I don't
remember which one was the good one.
Can somebody please add information on how to keep Qt up-to-date here ?

http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Building

Please don't point me to some general git or "How to build Qt" documentation,
this is not the problem.
I want to build kde frameworks, and that wiki page seems to be the place where
this is documented.
I could get it to work with some searching around, but not having it
documented there makes it harder for everybody.

(I mean, actually it should be the job of cmake to error out if one of the
dependencies are too old, but I guess we don't want that for kde frameworks).