Automatically setting the RPATH - make use of $ORIGIN ?

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 18:13:49 UTC 2013

Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> On Saturday 23 February 2013, Stephen Kelly wrote:
>> Alexander Neundorf wrote:
>> > or worse complain in public how cmake sucks.
>>
>> This is not KDEs problem.
>> So, I think we can safely not take responsibility for complaints about
>> CMake upstream issues.
>>
>> CMake is big enough and old enough to take care of itself :).
>
> We both are part of the cmake team in the meantime, so "cmake itself"
> includes me and you ;-)

Yes it does :), but that's just related to you and me. The fact that we both
associate with both KDE and CMake doesn't really mean anything regarding
responsibilities of KDE. It still doesn't mean the broader KDE community, or
the KDE buildsystem implementation has to defend CMake from trolls :).

>> > Without remembering a specific case, from time to time there were
>> > issues or wishes how something should be done. Having this layer (the
>> > macros) in between the KDE developers and cmake, it is possible to
>> > adjust such things inside these macros, without the need to get support
>> > for that specific thing into cmake.
>>
>> I can see how that can have been convenient. That doesn't make it the
>> best approach though, particularly in the long term, for several reasons
>> (eg, KDE behavior diverging from 'normal' CMake behavior, CMake not
>> getting features it should have such as the MinGW manifest stuff or the
>> empty link interface stuff).
>
> This is true.
> OTOH it makes the effort to maintain KDE's buildsystem managable.
> It's not like people jumping up and down to help (I know you are :-) ).

Yes.

>> I'm also not convinced that it's better to require the newest kdelibs
>> than the newest CMake. Some KDE extragear software still has a minimum
>> kdelibs requirement of 4.3. Considering how much easier it is to install
>> a newer CMake, that should be the chosen approach.
>
> You do remember the discussions on the KDE lists whenever (and this was
> not often at all) the minimum required cmake version was increased ?

I guess you're thinking 'an extragear application must not require a more-
recent version of cmake than kdelibs'. As applications can manage their own
version dependency of kdelibs, I don't see any reason that they should not
be allowed use a different version of cmake too if they really really
require a feature. Iirc you don't agree, but there we go :).

Thanks,

Steve.