Testing file offset bits?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sat Feb 16 16:42:34 UTC 2013

On Saturday 16 February 2013, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > So if you find out why it was necessary in 2008 and why it is now not
> > necessary anymore, I'm all for removing it. But otherwise we should keep
> > it.
>
> Disagreed. :)

why break stuff without reason ?

> I see no reason to carry lines of code we don't know we need or lines we
> know we don't understand.
>
> I do agree with doing research to find out why the things exist, and if
> they have a good reason to exist, keeping them and recording the reason
> properly. Please take that approach with the rest. I'll email Dirk.

No, I won't start checking each and every single flag which was added in the
last 6 years by somebody *who had a reason to do so*.
Nobody committed in FindKDE4Internal.cmake for fun, and I kept an eye on all
commits there. If there was something which seemed unreasonable, I objected.
So from my POV, everything which is there has a reason, but of course I don't
remember them all.
As I said, look at what we had in early 2006, and you'll see that there was
not much, and obviously reasons existed to add stuff. If you go through the
commit messages and the kde-buildsystem and kde-core-devel lists you will most
probably find out about each one.
I don't have the time to do that.
If you feel like it, go ahead, but don't simply remove stuff without knowing
why it was added and without being sure that this reason is not valid anymore.

I don't want to go through the process of people complaining why the
buildsystem worked with kdelibs4 and with kf5 we broke it for them without
reason.