Boost detection failure with CMake 2.8.8

Christophe Giboudeaux cgiboudeaux at gmx.com
Fri Nov 30 16:05:56 UTC 2012

Hi,

We're getting some reports about kdepimlibs and the Boost detection with CMake
2.8.8. The issue cannot be reproduced with 2.8.10.2.

CMakeLists.txt:

project(test)
cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8.8)
include(FeatureSummary)
set(Boost_MINIMUM_VERSION "1.34.0")
find_package(Boost ${Boost_MINIMUM_VERSION} COMPONENTS graph)
set_package_properties(Boost PROPERTIES DESCRIPTION "Boost C++ Libraries" URL
"http://www.boost.org" TYPE REQUIRED PURPOSE "Boost must include the boost-
graph library")
feature_summary(WHAT ALL FATAL_ON_MISSING_REQUIRED_PACKAGES)

With CMake 2.8.8:
-- Boost version: 1.49.0
-- Found the following Boost libraries:
--   graph
-- The following REQUIRED packages have been found:

 * Boost (required version >= 1.34.0) , Boost C++ Libraries ,
<http://www.boost.org>
   * Boost must include the boost-graph library

-- The following REQUIRED packages have not been found:

 * Boost (required version >= 1.34.0) , Boost C++ Libraries ,
<http://www.boost.org>
   * Boost must include the boost-graph library
CMake Error at
/tmp/cmake-2.8.8/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FeatureSummary.cmake:430 (MESSAGE):

----
With CMake 2.8.10.2:

-- Boost version: 1.49.0
-- Found the following Boost libraries:
--   graph
-- The following REQUIRED packages have been found:

 * Boost (required version >= 1.34.0) , Boost C++ Libraries ,
<http://www.boost.org>
   Boost must include the boost-graph library

---

Now the unexplained part: Boost comes from the official tarball, there's no
Config file. However, adding:
set(Boost_NO_BOOST_CMAKE TRUE)
fixes the boost detection with CMake 2.8.8.

Removing the QUIET keyword from FindBoost.cmake confirms that there's no
config file anywhere.

Any clue ? I'd rather avoid adding Boost_NO_BOOST_CMAKE everywhere.

Thanks,
Christophe

(attached: cmake +trace with 2.8.8)