add_library NO_PREFIX

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Thu Nov 29 07:44:01 UTC 2012

On Thursday 29 November 2012 08:37:15 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Thursday 29 November 2012, Kevin Ottens wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > We currently have kde4_add_plugin calls in our cmake files, they can be
> > replaced with:
> > add_library(foo MODULE ${foo_SRCS})
> > set_target_properties(foo PROPERTIES PREFIX "")
> >
> > It's not exactly nice API wise, so after discussing with David, he got the
> > idea of an extra option to add_library which automates the properties
> > call,
> > so the attached patch implements support for the following:
> > add_library(foo MODULE NO_PREFIX ${foo_SRCS})
> >
> > Any comment? Anyone to sponsor that patch in cmake upstream?
>
> I'd suggest to send this patch to cmake-developers at cmake.org .
>
> I don't have an opinion on this. (Whether the API is nice or not is a matter
> of taste, and increasing number of things can/has to be set via target
> properties, so from that POV it can be argued that having to set the PREFIX
> property is ok.)

Well, it's also slightly surprising, as I'm used to have modules/plugins come
with no prefix... Maybe it could be that the default value of PREFIX for the
MODULE type is "wrong"?

I'm in fact not sure if that's a KDE custom or something you find pervasively.
What's your opinion on that point? (I'd like to gather some other view before
sending to the cmake-developers list.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net