Porting the NETWM classes to xcb

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Jun 26 17:26:37 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 04 April 2012 00:27:34 Fredrik Höglund wrote:
> It's apparently also an issue that some Linux distributions are shipping
> old versions of xcb that are missing some of the libraries the cmake
> test checks for.

I tried compiling your netwm-xcb changes (merged onto kdelibs-4.9), but it
fails to find xcb_util.h (and the associated pkgconfig module).

(The all-in-one PKG_CHECK_MODULES makes diagnosing this a bit difficult btw.
Removing QUIET helps, though:
 package 'xcb-util' not found
 package 'xcb-ewmh' not found
)

> Right now the only library kdelibs is using is the core
> xcb library. This will change over time though, so I'm not sure what the
> best way is to deal with this.

Quick fix: comment out everything else ;)

Longer term fix: ask kde-buildsystem for the proper way to do this. Probably
something related to the user of FindXCB.cmake asking for the modules that it
needs. There's obviously support for that in cmake, but I don't know the exact
details. Something with FIND_PACKAGE(XCB COMPONENTS ....). See
FindSoprano.cmake for an example. The list could get quite long, but most code
won't need all modules, right?

CC'ing kde-buildsystem for help.
Just in case the example I found is outdated :)