Release Script (KF5)

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Fri Jul 27 20:03:48 UTC 2012

On Thursday 12 July 2012, Michael Jansen wrote:
> On Thursday, July 12, 2012 07:21:40 PM Albert Astals Cid wrote:

> > > Many small packages, but all at the same time. So "based on KDE
> > > Frameworks 5.0.1" will have some value in bug reports.
> > >
> > > However you're right, apps themselves should have their own version
> > > number,
> > > maybe we can solve the same way as we do for the frameworks: by running
> > > a script that updates the toplevel CMakeLists.txt in all modules
> > > before releasing.

> > > All libs, obviously. Who would take the time to run a diff and make
> > > really sure that nothing changed? This is additional work for nothing
> > > and makes everything more complex. Just like right now, we release
> > > kdeadmin or kdetoys with every KDE SC release, even if nothing
> > > changed.

> > > I can't decide there, that's for the release team to decide, but IMHO
> > > if it's all scripted and done all at once (KDE SC release), then it's
> > > simpler to just re-release everything.
> >
> > I agree with David here, just release everything, it's easier for
> > everyone.
>
> No it is not. It is a waste of bandwidth, resources and time for all
> involved.
>
> Do you really think forcing an update of unchanged modules for our
> convenience will help those of us trying to use plasma for mobile devices?
>
> Do you really think splitting up kdelibs and then releasing it more or less
> as one big blog is really helpful? Will it help people consider kde a more
> lightweight dependency?
>
> I will implement the ability to skip release for unchanged modules (fully
> automated) and would ask everyone here to really think twice before asking
> the release team to keep the current practice of releasing everything.

I think I mostly agree. It sounds like the correct thing to do.
I'm aware that this may somewhat contradict my posts to the versioning
discussions on kde-frameworks...

But basically, if a library has not changed, I agree that it's version number
should also not change.
Still all can be released again, so you can get everything at once if you
need.