Release Script

info at michael-jansen.biz info at michael-jansen.biz
Fri Jul 6 09:23:03 UTC 2012

Am 2012-07-06 11:00, schrieb Sune Vuorela:
> On 2012-06-20, Michael Jansen <info at michael-jansen.biz> wrote:
>> Current Version: 4.7.1-SNAPSHOT (in pom.xml) | Task: Build a minor
>> release
>
> A little bit about versioning, quite many distributions[a] has
> adopted '~'
> in version numbers. It has a very special meaning:
>
> '~' sorts before ''
>
> meaning that 4.7.4~beta1 is less than 4.7.4~rc1 which is less than
> 4.7.4
> which is less than 4.7.4-beta. and of course
> 4.7.4~~snapshot-2012-12-12
> is less than 4.7.4~
>
> (on a side note, 0~ is positive and less than zero :)
>
> If we adopt the same magic character with the same meaning, it would
> hopefulyl help in exactly telling what we do. E.g. is 4.7.1-SNAPSHOT
> 4.7.1 prerelease or a snapshot of the 4.7 branch after 4.7.1 ?
>
> [a] in debian (dpkg/apt) since many years and recently also in new
> versions
> of rpm

This will be my first step (This Weekend). Implementing a version logic
complete
with unit tests. I will present it during the next week hopefully here
for review.

Unless someone can point me to some python lib/class/module i can
reuse. I will
naturally do some research before starting but if someone has some
links/bookmarks already?

One last question. Is there still someone that requires the 4.9.80,
4.9.90 etc. number for
the betas and rcs? Are we free to standardize that or is it a
requirement to keep that?

Btw. http://semver.org/ . Anything i come up with is heavily influenced
by that. But
i will take the hint about ~ into account if noone objects to using
that or we have to keep the
.80 releases.

Mike