Better error message if one forgets to set KDEDIR variable

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Wed Feb 22 17:42:34 UTC 2012

On Wednesday 22 February 2012, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 February 2012, Mario Fux wrote:
> > Good morning
> >
> > Yesterday evening I had a problem which dfaure helped me to solve. I
> > forgot to (re)set the KDEDIR variable and thus got errors like:
> >
> > -- ************** ecm_version() is obsolete, use
> > ecm_set_version_variables() instead
> > -- file RELATIVE_PATH relInstallDir /lib/i386-linux-gnu/cmake/itemmodels
> > CMake Error at /usr/local/share/extra-cmake-
> >
> > modules-0.0.3/modules/ECMQtFramework.cmake:125 (file):
> >   file RELATIVE_PATH called with incorrect number of arguments
>
> Probably double quotes are missing there...
>
> > Call Stack (most recent call first):
> >   tier1/itemmodels/CMakeLists.txt:15 (include)
> >
> > Of line of the aboves is the debug line dfaure sent me as a patch. See
> > [1] for the whole output of cmake.
> >
> > Here is my cmake line:
> > /home/fmario/devel/KDE/cmake-build/bin/cmake ../kdelibs -
> > DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$KDEDIR -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=debugfull
> >
> > After resetting KDEDIR to the correct directory everything worked fine
> > but dfaure told me to write this to the buildsystem list and thus Alex
> > to mention that there should be a better error message for this problem.

Fix pushed.
It doesn't fail anymore, it should now use the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX you
provided... which was empty, which means the files will be installed to the
root /.
This is a valid case.

For the cmake files have no idea whether you did -
DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$KDE_DIR or -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=
, so they can't warn about this.