extra-cmake-modules installs into versionned dir

Christophe Giboudeaux cgiboudeaux at gmx.com
Tue Feb 21 11:24:15 UTC 2012

On Monday 20 February 2012 19:38:37 Sune Vuorela wrote:
> On Saturday 18 February 2012 18:45:54 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > On Saturday 18 February 2012, David Faure wrote:
> > > Can we PLEASE get rid of the version number in the install directory?
> > > It's way more trouble than any benefit it might bring.
> > >
> > > If one day we want co-installable incompatible releases,
> >
> > I want to have co-installable releases right from the beginning.
>
> I don't. It makes no sense what so ever to have it, and it is only giving
> headaches to the users of ecm.

Agreed. and I fully support removing this versioned prefix. I consider this a
showstopper (ie: I would invite people to stay away from ecm to avoid
headaches).

The past experiences with kdepimlibs and kdebase-workspace have been complete
failures and both were fixed. (I fixed kdepimlibs in 2009 and Thiago fixed
kdebase-workspace last year).

The reason is quite simple: we don't bump the version after each feature or
bug fix and if someone has a build error, the answer is "update thisModule"
rather than "update thisModule to X.Y.Z version."

Additionally, this requires bumping the minimum version in the depending
module. You're then facing two issues:
- You're not supposed to try each version to find the right one,
- You can't use find_package(FOO) without the version since cmake will not
check whether his cache should be refreshed.

Concurrent installation are still possible using different install prefix and
just playing with CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH.

Christophe