GZipping files at build time

Parker Coates parker.coates at kdemail.net
Mon Feb 20 03:36:47 UTC 2012

Hello Build System Experts,

Within the KDEGames project we would like to gzip compress some files
at build-time, and I am coming to you folks for suggestions.

Can CMake do this for us? (I don't think so, but I'm not certain.
Maybe CPack?) Is any other part of KDE currently gzipping at
build-time? If so, can we reuse this solution?

The obvious approach is to add a build-time dependency on the gzip
executable, but this might be a pain on non-Unix platforms. Of course,
there are lots of other tools out there than can do gzip compression.
Are there any that we already have as a dependency? Or that might be
easier to distribute?

Whatever the actual compression solution, we'll also need to package
it up in a convenient CMake macro, as the functionality is needed in
lots of (soon to be) separate applications. Since I'm no CMake whiz,
I'll probably need help with that part, too. :)

Thanks for your thoughts,

Parker