Strange commit to FindKDE4Internal.cmake

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 19 22:41:16 UTC 2012

Am 19.02.2012 23:12, schrieb Stephen Kelly:
> Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 5:20 PM, Alexander Neundorf<neundorf at kde.org>
>> wrote:
>> Now try and find a LibFooConfig.cmake somehow. Absolutely impossible.
>> Heck, many times headers and libraries will be under some shared
>> network drive! (something like H:\lib + H:\include). Are you going to
>> scan every drive connected to the computer looking for config files?
>>
> How would FindFoo.cmake know where to look?
>
>> - Libraries (libfoo) must always provide a reference FindLibFoo.cmake
>> in the package and make it available for third party developers in the
>> tarballs. Packages (libfoo-dev) must install this
> Brad on the CMake list suggested that such files would belong in the
> documentation of libfoo (libfoo-doc package), which I thought was an
> interesting point (Or in any other documentation it could be a snippet).
>
> If installed with the -dev package (even as a reference implementation or
> template), it's kind of back to the situation of putting the treasure map
> with the treasure. However, if it's part of documentation, presumably the
> person using it will read that documentation and see it

There is a linux rpm package installing about 150 Find... scripts into
/usr/share/cmake-2.8/modules  (the package is named cmake) and a
3rdparty library rpm package installing a dedicated Find... script into
the same location (or a well known 3rdparty location) because the
related Find. script is not in the cmake binary package ? Is this
forbidden ?

Is the library package maintainer be forced to add his Find<lib>...
script to the official cmake release or to a dedicated
extra-cmake-find-script-repository and tell the user to install an
additional dependency ? And when his Find... script is not accepted by
the cmake maintainers for whatever reasons, he has to add his Find.. to
the source and add a note to the library doc as mentioned above and the
Find... script has to be added to every client library or application ?
And on each change in this Find... script every client library or
executable maintainer has to update the copy by hand and may result into
mysterious failures with increased maintenance  otherwise.
Make this all sense ?

Regards
  Ralf