Strange commit to FindKDE4Internal.cmake

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Sun Feb 19 00:37:02 UTC 2012

2012/2/18 Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm at gmail.com>:

> FindXXX.cmake should not be installed to target system because it suggests
> this file will be somewhat magically available for the client (application
> using FindXXX.cmake).
> But it will not and it's it's client's sole responsibility to provide this
> file.
> libfoo can of course provide FindXXX.cmake in its source tarball (in
> misc/sdk/contrib directory for instance) so that libfoo clients may copy it to
> their buildsystems, but libfoo should never install this file by itself.

On Linux/BSD/etc, most people never download or use the source tarball
for libfoo. When they are developing, they would download libfoo-dev.
Where are they going to take FindLibFoo.cmake from if they never used
libfoo.tar.gz in the first place?

> FindXXX.cmake is not .pc file (pkg-config) equivalent as it doesn't provide
> exact library location in system, just a way to find it.

That's what FooConfig.cmake is for. We are talking about a different thing here.

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org