ECMQtFramework.cmake, version header and ECMWriteVersionHeader.cmake

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 08:36:44 UTC 2012

Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> and I'm also not sure we should use the term "Framework" here, since this
> may very well be mixed up with OSX frameworks by cmake users).

OSX users might get themselves confused about the meaning and ownership of
the word 'framework', but I don't think that should be something we consider
when naming things (which is already hard enough). OSX does not own the word
'Framework', and it's OK to use it in names for other things in software
IMO. Even and especially in cross-platform software - grepping for Framework
in cmake.git also gives results like Windows registry keys, 'Java
Frameworks', so I don't think familiarity with cmake.git has anything to do
with it either.

> So, objections to using ECMWriteVersionHeader.cmake everywhere ?

No objection from me.

> Also, the generated version headers in kdelibs are only installed in a few
> places, most remain uninstalled. Is this intentionally ?

Probably not. Anything you see that doesn't make sense in the sense of 'what
the finished product looks like' is probably an unintentional side-effect of
bootstrapping the process of getting frameworks off the ground.

Thanks,

Steve.