ECM and FindFoo.cmake files

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Aug 5 15:08:48 UTC 2012

On Sunday 05 August 2012, George Goldberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the policy on moving FindFoo.cmake files from frameworks to
> ECM or upstream.  In particular, I have found the following ones still
> existing in the various tier1 and tier2 migrated frameworks:

Move them one by one to e-c-m when the library in kdelibs/ has been moved to
tierX/, where it can't/shouldn't use kdelibs/cmake/modules/ anymore.

Here is an overview over Find-files and what should be done with them:
http://community.kde.org/KDE_Core/Platform_11/Buildsystem/FindFilesSurvey

Some changes are listed here:
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/ECM_SourceIncompatChanges

So e.g. we should not use an own copy of FindX11.cmake anymore in KF5, but the
one which comes with cmake.

> kcoreaddons
> --FindFAM.cmake
> kidletime
> --FindX11.cmake
> --FindX11XCB.cmake
> --FindXCB.cmake
> solid
> --FindHUPNP.cmake
> --FindIOKit.cmake

Not sure FindIOKit.cmake is actually needed. Any OSX developers around ?

> --FindMediaPlayerInfo.cmake
> --FindUDev.cmake
> kauth
> --FindPolkitQt-1.cmake
> --FindPolkitQt.cmake
>
> There are various bits of information scattered around the Frameworks
> wiki suggesting that many (or all?) of these should be upstreamed to
> either ECM or cmake.  Can anyone clarify this a bit as to whether I
> should try and acheive this or not?

If you are able to upstream some of the files to CMake, great, go for it.
Getting a Find-module into cmake goes together with volunteering to maintain
it in the forseeable future, i.e. caring about bugs reported against it etc.
in cmake.

No KDE repository/project/module except extra-cmake-modules should install any
Find-modules anymore with KF5.
So either the repositories get their own copies of the files they use, or it
must be upstreamed somewhere, e-c-m or cmake.

For e-c-m basically the same compatibility guarantees as for cmake itself
apply:
http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/CMake_and_Source_Compatibility
http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/CMake_Coding_Style