Amarok v2.4.3 doesn't build

Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto jmbsvicetto at gentoo.org
Thu Oct 20 12:05:20 UTC 2011

On 19-10-2011 12:00, kde-buildsystem-request at kde.org wrote:
> Message: 3 Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 00:32:47 +0200 From: Alexander
> Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org> To: Harald Sitter <sitter at kde.org>,
> kretschmann at kde.org Cc: kde-buildsystem at kde.org Subject: Amarok
> v2.4.3 doesn't build Message-ID:
> <201110190032.47813.neundorf at kde.org> Content-Type: text/plain;
> charset="us-ascii"
>
> Hi,
>
> I just tried to build amarok from the v2.4.3 tag from git and it
> failed !!!! ;-)
>
> I tries to link against -L/usr/lib/mysql -lmysqld, but there is no
> libmysqld.so (probably because the development package is not
> installed).

That means your distribution isn't providing a patched mysql to build
mysqld as a shared library. Upstream has yet to apply the patch to do
that in both mysql 5.1 and 5.5 series.

> The problem is in FindMySqlAmarok.cmake. If mysql_config is found,
> it is queried for the flags necessary for linking (mysql_config
> --libmysqld-lib), and its output is simply put into the
> MYSQL_EMBEDDED_LIBRARIES variable.
>
> I think here goes the same as with pkg-config: never use the
> output from such tools directly, but always double check, i.e. if
> it says "mysqld" is in /usr/lib/mysql/, do a
> find_library(MYSQL_LIBRARY NAMES mysqld HINTS /usr/lib/mysqld) and
> use what you get from that. This way, cmake will always have to
> deal with full paths to libraries, and can takle care that
> everything will link properly.
>
> Can you please have a look at that file (FindMySqlAmarok.cmake) ?
>
> Thanks Alex

I'd argue the problem is that mysql, although using cmake for the 5.5
series, still doesn't provide a "cmake friendly" configuration file /
tool to provide the same information as mysql_config.