pkgconfig under Windows ? Was: review FindBlueZ.cmake

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sat Oct 1 19:33:17 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 21 September 2011, Raphael Kubo da Costa wrote:
> Michael Jansen <kde at michael-jansen.biz> writes:
> > Not sure here. After a (short) talk to some kde windows guys i remember
> > he said there is pkgconfig for windows but it is considered completly
> > broken. I think thats why most modules do that magic. Do ignore it on
> > windows even if there.
>
> I've often times heard non-KDE people say pkgconfig used to be broken
> but should work fine nowadays, so I'm a bit confused here. It'd be nice
> if the kde-windows guys could provide more details on what's the current
> state of pkgconfig for them.

Yes.
Also, whenever I said somewhere that our cmake files must be able to find
stuff also without pkgconfig, people replied that nowadays it works just fine
under Windows.

So, Windows developers: what's the current state of pkg-config under Windows ?
Does it work ?
Do you use it ?
Does it work with mingw ?
Does it work with MSVC ?