The CMake situation in frameworks

Christophe Giboudeaux cgiboudeaux at gmx.com
Fri Nov 25 18:02:54 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Friday 25 November 2011 02:24:55 Stephen Kelly wrote:
> == Communicating build parameters between modules ==
>
> Some people don't want to set custom parameters for certain install
> directories and have those locations picked up by other depending modules.
> Eg, if a custom value is set for LIB_INSTALL_DIR in kdelibs and KDEPIM is
> built against that version of kdelibs, KDEPIM should use the same value for
> LIB_INSTALL_DIR. This is provided by the _set_fancy macro currently. There
> may be better ways to do this, such as specifying the values in the config
> files for frameworks, or installing a CMakeCache.txt. Needs more
> investigation.

I would object if that removes the ability to install a given module in a
different prefix than kdelibs (and have the other paths not being set
accordingly, installing files out of the install prefix should be clearly
forbidden to avoid the kauth nightmare).

As long as building the module Foo using a distro kdelibs remains possible, no
objection.
However, I think the variables names for kdelibs must be different than the
ones in the modules depending on it. We have a few cases where we need
something specific from kdelibs:

in kdepim/akregator/src/CMakeLists.txt:
qt4_add_dbus_interfaces(akregatorpart_PART_SRCS
${KDE4_DBUS_INTERFACES_DIR}/org.kde.KSpeech.xml)

Following your idea, we would then have:
qt4_add_dbus_interfaces(akregatorpart_PART_SRCS
${DBUS_INTERFACES_DIR}/org.kde.KSpeech.xml)

which would fail if the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX is different for kdelibs and
kdepim

Christophe