CMake and xml output

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun May 1 19:07:11 CEST 2011

On Saturday 30 April 2011, Torgny Nyblom wrote:
> On Saturday 30 April 2011 18.20.07 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Saturday 30 April 2011, Torgny Nyblom wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm experimenting with setting up a continious integration server for
> > > kdepim*. Everything seems to work ok except for collecting the results
> > > from CTest. If I understand the documentation correct CTest should
> > > produce a collection of .xml files as result but all I see is three
> > > plain text files. Does anyone here know why and hopefully how I can
> > > change this?
> >
> > great that you want to set this up.
> > What do you want to do with the xml result files from ctest ?
> > If you simply use cdash, and there are already projects for kdepim set up
> > on my.cdash.org, everything should just work.
> >
> > Are you trying to do something different ?
> >
> > If so, why ?
>
> I'm trying to set up the whole push->build->test chain and if I understood
> CDash correctly that is just for showing results. Which would mean I would
> have to implement the rest of the chain my self.

IMO ctest+cdash can do at least 90% of what we need.
The missing things should be added there instead of implementing an own
independent solution from scratch.

The typical setup with ctest+cdash is that you set up a cronjob, which starts
a continuous build at some time of the day, this cont. build job then runs
for basically the whole day and checks every few minutes whether there were
updates.
If there were updates, it updates, builds, tests and submits the build and
test results to cdash.

What more do we need in your opinion ?

The missing 10% from my POV:
-group result on cdash per submitting machine over multiple projects
-fine grained notification emails on a subproject basis

> But I could get the xml
> results from CTest I would get away with implementing the conversion from
> CTest xml to JUnit xml as that seems to be more or less the standard (among
> the systems I've looked at).
>
> Also I'm not sure if this is just a missunderstanding or configurable but
> CDash seems to group results on a per computer basis and not on a per
> project basis.

No, it is per project. Where have you seen it per computer ?

> I would also like to have the ability to show the results over time and

CDash can show you graphs for succeeding/failing tests over time.
If we want more graphs, Julien (the main cdash developer, I've put him on CC)
will be very happy about patches.