Phonon

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Sun Mar 13 01:50:16 CET 2011

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 9:11 PM, Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org> wrote:
>> phonon-buildsystem is only used to build the backends. Applications should
>> *not* be using the stuff in there. If they manage to find FindPhonon.cmake
>> from phonon-buildsystem, the application's build has a bug. Our
>> FindPhonon.cmake looks for FindPhononInternal.cmake, which adds some build
>> magic for the backends, such as telling them we have pulseaudio support,
>> where to install the backend library, and some standard compilation flags
>> across all backends.
>
> FindKDE4Internal.cmake was done in cmake 2.4.0 times.
> Since cmake 2.6.0 cmake supports finding XXXConfig.cmake files, installed in
> lib/cmake/XXX/.
> So you could install a PhononConfig.cmake file, which contains all the
> information you want. This file will be found directly by cmake, and it will
> be "cmake-conform", no messing around with pkg-config.
> I would strongly recommend to do this.
>
> The pages here: http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/CMake/Tutorials explain how to do
> this.

There is a branch for that (SaroEngels was working on it), never got
merged thought *shrug*.

>> > This means you have to take care of keeping compatibility for them !
>> > (it's not often that I use the exclamation mark).
>> > Who is your cmake guy who does that ?
>>
>> Harald handles most of the cmake stuff. We only install all those because
>> only the building of the phonon backends need them. There is no urgent
>> need to keep compatability with them since there is a total of 5
>> consumers, all of which we keep eyes on.
>
> But is it necessary to install an own copy of FindQt4 ?

If I knew why it is there in the first place I would be a happy man :D

> Also e.g. I would strongly recommend against installing any other cmake files.
> This will only lead to compatibility problems.

That would mean we have to have them in every backend... maintaining
all that plunder across 6 repos rather than 1 sounds like overhead to
me, so we probably wont get around installing some of that stuff so
the backends can use it.

regards,
Harald