RFC: Release Management Going Forward

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Jun 20 22:39:40 CEST 2011

On Monday 20 June 2011, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Friday 10 June 2011, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > Yes, sure, but I'm away from this noon until Sunday evening.
> > Is this needed already now for 4.7 ?
> >
> > I was hoping to have some more weeks to give it more testing and finish
> > it. ("it" being the "Superbuild" CMakeLists.txt, which provide builds in
> > old-style KDE modules or in the future maybe even an all-in-one build
> > using CMakes ExternalProject feature).
> > In git there is a repository superbuild now, but it's not yet done.
>
> Alex, can I make use of that now? I would like to tag RC1 tomorrow.

Please give it a try, and let me know how it goes, what is missing, etc.
I guess a way to give additional cmake argument to the subprojects is at least
necessary, right ?

The currently existing documentation is this:
https://projects.kde.org/projects/kde/superbuild

Or, in other words, I do not yet have any feedback from packagers, except the
early feedback from Sune in Randa, which is incorporated now, but no fresh
feedback yet.

So, I'd say you can try it and see whether creating the source packages and
building them later on works ok, but simply using it to create the source
packages and then hope they work for all packagers might be a bit much.

> > For which modules is this right now ?
> > kdesupport, kdegraphics, more ?
>
> kdeedu as well, kde-baseapps and kde-runtime.

If you look at the superbuild CMakeLists.txt, you'll see the files are
basically trivial :-)