RFC: Release Management Going Forward

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Fri Jun 10 08:21:00 CEST 2011

On Friday 10 June 2011, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> Hey Tom, :)
>
> On Thursday, June 09, 2011 22:21:01 Tom Albers wrote:
> > I think we have to respond to the current problems with the beta 1
> > release. The adaption among distro's wasn't what we are used to due to
> > our unclear message about if this layout is going to be final.
>
> Yeah, I think we've created quite a mess, and we need to make our releases
> "backwards compatible" for our downstreams, those that consume it.
>
> > I suggest that we also add monolithic tarballs, starting from beta 2.
> > This way we have split and combined tarballs. And I suggest that we
> > continue to do this for the whole 4.7 cycle. And we need to discuss this
> > again for 4.8.
>
> Yep, the layout of the tarballs should be the same as for the 4.6.0
> release. On top of that, I suggest not changing the layout for 4.8. See
> below :)
>
> > The big problem here is that the release-team has no resources to
> > generate these monolithic tarballs. If we were to decide this, we need
> > help from the buildsystem to adapt our scripts to generate them. The
> > question to the buildsystem guys is, if anyone wants to stand up and
> > help with this.
>
> I'm all for it. And I volunteer Alex! ;-)

Yes, sure, but I'm away from this noon until Sunday evening.
Is this needed already now for 4.7 ?

I was hoping to have some more weeks to give it more testing and finish it.
("it" being the "Superbuild" CMakeLists.txt, which provide builds in old-style
KDE modules or in the future maybe even an all-in-one build using CMakes
ExternalProject feature).
In git there is a repository superbuild now, but it's not yet done.

What still needs to be done:
- add special handling DESTDIR
- add handling for tags
- maybe some work on the implementation of ExternalProject in cmake

For which modules is this right now ?
kdesupport, kdegraphics, more ?

> Let me dump my brain and add how I see release management going forward
> from here:
>
> = KDE SC 4.x =
> * monolithic tarballs, layout like 4.6.0 release
> * no disruption in packages
> * git migration should not have effect on released tarball layout to keep
>   packagers' lives easy
> * optional split tarballs (split/ subdirectory?)
>
> = 5.x =

"There is no 5" ;-)