Separate package for cmake modules

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Thu Jun 9 09:48:12 CEST 2011

Hi,

a big topic on the buildsystem side in the Randa sprint was how to get our
cmake modules more upstream, so they can be used also in non-KDE modules.

So either get them directly into cmake or create a separate package with no
dependencies on Qt or KDE or anything beside CMake.

For most of our Find-modules it makes more sense to put them into such a
separate package, since getting them into cmake comes with a cost (having to
require the newer version of cmake, finding maintainers for each module in
cmake).

Raphael has put together a table with an overview over what we have in
kdelibs/cmake/modules/:
http://community.kde.org/KDE_Core/Platform_11/Buildsystem/FindFilesSurvey

So, two questions:

-who want to be involved ?
(beside me and I guess Raphael)

-we need a name for it. There are already two "cmake-modules" projects, one on
google-code (basically dead), and one on github (author did not respond yet).
I'd suggest "extra cmake modules", so it's not a third "cmake modules", it
doesn't look like it might have a dependency to Qt or KDE, and as prefix for
macros provided by this package "ecm_" could be used. Other ideas ?