Perl versioned dependencies?

Frederik Schwarzer schwarzer at kde.org
Wed Jun 8 22:14:54 CEST 2011

Hi,

recently the perldoc kioslave saw a change that makes it work with Perl
version 5.14. In that version, Perl drops support for a given/when
implementation that was replaced by a much cleaner one with slightly
different syntax. The new syntax was introduced in version 5.10.

While thinking about backporting the change to the 4.6 branch, we
struggled a bit with the new dependency situation (does not work with
Perl 5.8 anymore).

While dropping support for Perl 5.8 does not seem to be that bad, it
brought up a more general issue. The FindPerl module of CMake does not
support versions.

Lately the Perl 5 developers deperecated quite some stuff and introduced
new features, which in my opinion leads to a need for version support
in FindPerl.

On the other hand, I am not a build system guy and cmake still is one
part copy and paste and two parts trust in the magic for me. So I would
like to ask you about your opinion.

Is version support in FindPerl advisable?
If yes, where could it be implemented? Upstream? Just for KDE?

Regards