getting involved

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Jul 31 20:44:51 CEST 2011

On Saturday 30 July 2011, Giorgos Tsiapaliwkas wrote:
> On 27 July 2011 23:07, Alexander Neundorf <neundorf at kde.org> wrote:
> > Hi Giorgos,
> >
> > great to have you here :-)
> >
> > Below is a list of things which need to be done right now. I hope it
> > isn't too short ;-)
>
> Before i go into the "real things",what exactly should i have learned?
> Right know i am reading the upstream(cmake) documentation.
> Also i checked the bugzilla but all the bugs are very old.

The CMake page on techbase.kde.org ( http://techbase.kde.org/Development/CMake
) contains several useful links, e.g.:
* http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/CMake_Coding_Style
* http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/CMake_and_Source_Compatibility
* http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/CMake_Commit_Policy

* the readme.txt in CMake's Modules/ directory

> In the attached files i have wrote where the above macros are being
> located. I add them in simple files because there wasn't any relevant wiki
> for the buildsystem,but if you would like i could create one.

Thanks, that's a nice overview.
So:

* MacroAppendIf.cmake is unused
* MacroBoolTo01.cmake is used a lot. How is it used ?
Would using #cmakedefine01 (instead of #cmakedefine) in the to be configured
files (e.g. config.h.in) make this unnecessary ? (see the documentation for
configure_file on the cmake manpage)

* CheckStructMember:
can you try to put all tests which use that in a standalone CMakeLists.txt,
and check for each one whether the CheckStructHasMember (coming with CMake,
only difference being is that it used the C compiler instead of the C++
compiler) gives the same result ?
If so, we don't need this file in the long term anymore.
If not, then I'll add a CheckCXXStructMember.cmake to CMake.

* CheckPointerMember:
same as above, can you please try to put the test(s) into a standalone
CMakeLists.txt ? Could this be done with some tweaking also with
CheckStructHasMember ?